Are the air vents blocked?
• This obstructs cold air movement. Move objects away from the air vents.
See “Ensuring proper air circulation” below for air vent locations.
Is the door opened often?
• Be aware that the freezer will warm when this occurs. In order to keep the freezer cool, try to get everything you need out of the freezer at once, keep food organized so it is easy to find, and close the door as soon as the food is removed.
Has a large amount of food just been added to the freezer?
• Adding a large amount of food warms the freezer. It can take several hours for the freezer to return to the normal temperature.
Is the control set correctly for the surrounding conditions?
• See “Using the control” below.
Ensuring proper air circulation:
• In order to ensure proper temperature, you need to permit proper airflow in the freezer. Cool air enters through the freezer wall and moves downward.
• The air then recirculates through the vent near the bottom. Do not block any of these vents with food packages. If the vents are blocked, airflow will be obstructed, and temperature and moisture problems may occur.
Using the control:
• Turn the freezer temperature control to a numbered setting. Allow the freezer to cool six to eight hours before filling with frozen food.
• The middle setting (typically “4”) is designed to maintain the temperature at or near 0°F (-17.8°C) under normal operating conditions.
• Let the freezer cool overnight before adding large amounts of unfrozen food. Never add more than two to three pounds (907 to 1,350 g) of unfrozen food per cubic foot (28.32 L) of freezer space.
NOTE: When the freezer is first started, the compressor will run constantly until the freezer is cooled. It may take up to six to eight hours (or longer), depending on room temperature and the number of times the freezer door is opened. After the freezer is cooled, the compressor will turn on and off as needed to keep the freezer at the proper temperature. The outside of your freezer may feel warm. This is normal. The freezer’s design and main function is to remove heat from packages and air space inside the freezer. The heat is transferred to the room air, making the outside of the freezer feel warm.